- Car Rental
- Must See
- Sign In
- Sign Up
- EUR €
Savina Monastery is located in one of the most beautiful bays in the world – bay of Boka Kotorska. It is located 2 kilometers away from Herceg Novi in thick Mediterranean forest. It is situated on the hill from which the view stretches over Lustica and Ostri Rt (Sharp cape), as well as on Topla in whose hinterland plain Sutorina is located. On the east side the view goes towards Tivat bay, above which raises giant Lovcen.
The decision to build Savina Monastery was made on a meeting of the monastery monks on the 15th January 1775. The Archimandrite Danilo Jovanorajevića and Nicanor Bogetići, were sent to Venice to seek permission from the Venetian doge to reconstruct (construct) the church. On the 25th of July 1776, Doge Alvise Mocenigo gave them a written permission to construct the church, and that permission is still kept in the treasury of the monastery. The same year the Montenegrin Metropolitan Sava Petrovic Njegos gave his blessings for the construction of the church. The beginning of construction of the church were preserved on plates with inscriptions from 1777 located below the rosette of the bell tower on the first floor, as well as the north and south sides.
The Great Church is a monumental building with a dome on pendentives orthogonal and a large semicircular apse. 23.5 m long, 8.5 m wide and 10.5 m high. Is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin. The church was designed by the renowned Korcula builder Nicholas Foretić and is the most beautiful monument of the Dalmatian baroque school. It is a building that contains elements of the Romanesque-Byzantine style, with minor additions of Baroque, and it belongs to the Baroque era. Finely hewn Korcula white stone gave the whole building a peaceful character.
The treasury of Savina Monastery has three layers, three sources: the first from the monastery Mileševo, the second from Tvrdos monastery near Trebinje from which the extraordinary valuables were transferred to Savina Monastery in 1695. The small church, which was then covered in the weeds, was restored by the monastery monks from Tvrdoš with Bishop Savatija Ljubibratić. The third source of the indigenous with their own donations. For its rich structure, the artefects in this treasury, collected during the 17th and 18th centuries, are among the top valued, not only cultural, but also artistic.